Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Rest of "A Recap on Tuesday"

I was told we could only bring a camera and our ID cards...NO BAGS!!! What I didn't know is that you could bring a ziploc bag, filled with food, and chapstick, and whatever you might need while waiting! But, that was ok. They were handing out Nutrigrain bars, so I snagged two of them. Boy were they good!

When things finally started for real, everyone was beyond ready! They had a 12-year-old girl sing the National Anthem. She was good as Mariah joke! Caleb said it was one of the most awesome things he has ever seen...looking out to a field of over 30,000 soldiers and people saluting the American Flag.

The President came in on a helicopter. He circled the field, and everybody cheered and waved their American about a welcoming party!!! He landed, but didn't come out for another 30 minutes. But when he walked out, you would have thought Jesus had just entered His Kingdom. They played the Presidents music that is played whenever he enters a room. Talk about majestic! It was amazing. The cheers were so loud! It went on for forever! I have never been more proud to be an American!

He came to thank the soldiers for volunteering to serve their country. He thanked those who had been overseas. He thanked those who were about to go. He updated them on what they had helped accomplish over in Iraq. It was so neat! I felt special just being there...I can't imagine being a soldier and having your leader thank you and speak to you the way President Bush spoke to them! The whole speach didn't last longer than 30 minutes, but it was worth the wait. When he signed off with "...and God Bless America" a cheer arose. It was so loud. President Bush proceeded to shake the soldiers' hands who were around him. The soldiers were so eager to shake his hand, and it really seemed like he was eager to shake their hands. Unfortunately, Caleb did not get to shake his hand. But, he said that they made eye contact and that President Bush smiled at him! ( I know that sounds funny, but it was neat!)

After he left, it was like a madhouse trying to get out of there. I finally met back up with Caleb about 11:30. He was released for the day. So, we went and ate at Benigan's. I told myself that I had earned the right to order a Monte Cristo...I haven't had one in years! Luckily, I didn't eat the whole thing. We went back to the apartment and slept from 1:00 - 4:00. It was the best nap I had ever had! Then I had to head home.

Even though things didn't happen the way we thought they would, the whole experience was well worth it. Hopefully, someday, I will get to actually meet him and not just see him on the screen! Until then, I will do my best to be the best army wife I can be and support Caleb in all that he does.

Well, tomorrow is Friday and I get to see my hunny again. I hope you all have had a wonderful week and I hope to see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. God bless America.
    God bless President Bush. God bless our troops. God bless Caleb. God shield them all.
    I am an American and thank the Lord for the blessing.
    Love, Mama